Anti-fracking protestors join occupation of Cuadrilla site

14 August 2014

14 August 2014

At midday today, protestors from Reclaim the Power set up camp at Preston New Road, at fracking company Cuadrilla’s proposed drilling site. Approximately 1000 attendees will stay for six days, to take direct action and share skills and knowledge. They do so in support of the local community’s fight against Cuadrilla’s plans to drill for shale gas in Lancashire.[1]

Last year, the Reclaim the Power camp shut down Cuadrilla’s operations in Balcombe, Sussex for a week. The company later announced that they would not frack the site, and the Balcombe community has set up an initiative to supply their area with renewable energy.[2]

In 2011, Blackpool experienced earthquakes caused by fracking. Hannah Jones from Reclaim the Power said:

“Blackpool is where the fracking industry started in the UK, and this is where it has to stop. Besides the damage it can cause to water and air locally, fracked gas can be as bad for the climate as coal. We need energy that’s sustainable, democratic, and affordable, instead of corporate controlled fossil fuels.”

Since August 7th, a group of Lancashire grandmothers, mothers, and children have been occupying a field on Preston New Road – one of Cuadrilla’s proposed drill sites. Local residents handed in a record-breaking 14,000 objections to a council consultation on Cuadrilla’s plans.[3] When asked why the local women are occupying the field, Tina Louise from Lancashire said,

“The shale gas industry and Cuadrilla in particular have not acted honestly in their dealings with our community and are not to be trusted with the health and well-being of our children. We do not want them here and so are gathering to make sure we are heard and we are calling others to help us amplify this. As air and water do not recognize county boundaries, the defence is for everybody in the UK.”

[1] Press pack with more detailed camp information available. [2] http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/apr/17/balcombe-fracking-energy-community-renewables [3]http://www.foe.co.uk/news/14000-people-call-frack-free-lancashire

How to get to the camp

Programme (including march on Sunday, day of action on Monday)

Reclaim the Power to come to North West England anti-fracking site

Reclaim the Power, the action camp that shut down Cuadrilla’s operations in Balcombe for a week last year, will take place near Blackpool between 14 – 20 August. The precise location of the camp will be revealed on the starting day.

Reclaim the Power, the action camp that shut down Cuadrilla’s operations in Balcombe for a week last year, will take place near Blackpool between 14 – 20 August. The precise location of the camp will be revealed on the starting day. An estimated 1000 participants from across the UK and local residents will take part in 6 days of direct action, training, and workshops as they join the dots between social, climate and economic justice.

More info in press releaseProgramme

Massive convoys of test frack equipment arrive at West Newton

3rd July

3rd July

Rathlin Energy yesterday, Wed 2nd July, brought massive convoys of equipment on to the West Newton test frack site near Withernwick.

 
This is in flagrant breach of 2 key Planning Conditions- they need to give 2 week's written notice before activities on site (Condition 2) and there must be no convoys of vehicles, with at least 10 minutes between vehicles. (In the Traffic Plan referred to in Condition 7)

There were multiple large convoys, totalling 64 vehicles. The well pad was extremely crowded with vehicles and equipment.

There was a very heavy police presence with numerous vans and riot vans, around a hundred police through the villages of New Ellerby, Marton and West Newton.
High Fosham road was closed to pedestrians and traffic.

West Newton has had anti fracking Protectors camping at the site since May 9th. There is another camp at Rathlin's other well site in East Yorkshire, Crawberry Hill.

Louise Castro, a protector camping at the site said, "It's chaos and mayhem here- local villagers were forced to trail across the fields just to see what was going on, and were devastated- some burst in to tears when the scale of it hit home. Rathlin have ridden roughshod over the traffic plan worked worked out with the villagers."

Ian Crane, a former oil executive also living at the anti fracking camps said, "Today the locals got a taste of what is to come on a daily basis if the unconventional oil and gas industry is allowed to go ahead with fracking in this area".

Pauline Hakeny, a resident of nearby Skirlaugh said, "I'm really shocked at the amount of vehicles- they promised us this would never happen- and also the amount of police- there were loads of vans and officers in all the surrounding villages."

Grapes of Rathlin

3rd July from SccNEWS Convoys of trucks carrying equipment descended on West Newton yesterday, where Rathlin Energy are commencing their exploratory

3rd July from SccNEWS Convoys of trucks carrying equipment descended on West Newton yesterday, where Rathlin Energy are commencing their exploratory fracking drilling. As the first major activity at the East Yorkshire site kicked off, a handful of protesters and many more anxious locals could only watch in horror as the fracking trucks made their way along the long single track lane towards the well.

The convoys were protected by hundreds of police and riot vans, while local residents were blocked from accessing their own homes and one elderly resident burst into tears at the scale of what was happening.

West Newton is one of two locations in East Yorkshire that Rathlin are attempting to frack. At both West Newton and Crawberry Hill, Rathlin have had planning permission for exploratory drilling since 2012. Earlier this year they also got Environment Agency permits that last until September, in the case of Crawberry Hill, and longer in the case of West Newton. “We knew they were due to do the tests at either site at any time”, says our source from campaign group HEY Frack Off.

Small protests camps were set up at both locations in May. Crawberry was the larger, with number averaging at 20: Not only was it looking likelier that Rathlin would hit there first as the permits ran out sooner, but it's nearer urban centres like Beverley and Hull. Crucially, it is in the area of the massive underground aquifer that is relied on for drinking water for much of the population of Hull and East Yorkshire: “If that were to be contaminated it would be an absolute catastrophe”. So far, Crawberry Hill has yet to see any significant activity.

Over at West Newton, the protection camp has been tiny but doggedly persistent. The villagers in the very rural area have been slow on the uptake but now seem to be waking up to what's about to happen on their doorsteps. At first, they'd been bizarrely anxious about the camp and upset about the protesters' presence, rather than their villages surrounding a hellmouth of the environmental armageddon.

“It's an unbelievably conservative area. Some people didn't even want to contact HEY Frack Off because of our 'controversial' name!”, says our contact. “Most of the local residents have swallowed Rathlin's line and their PR hook, line and sinker.”

But recent well-attended public meetings, and individual conversations, have shown awareness is slowly starting to sink in. Maybe the locals are slowly starting to organise?

Just to show how much they respect the local residents, when the convoys came onto site at West Newton yesterday, they “ran roughshod” over the planning conditions that had been agreed between the local council (East Riding of Yorkshire) and Rathlin Energy to sweeten the fracking pill for local residents.

Firstly, they failed to give the stipulated 14 days notice before any activity commenced. Sneaky, but not surprising given the momentum the anti-fracking movement's been gaining. Secondly, they spectacularly flouted the traffic management plan which promised local residents no more than one truck every ten minutes. Yesterday saw two massive convoys of lorries – around 65 vehicles entering the site. Needless to say, the well pad was crowded.

In terms of policing, our contact reports: “Police have said they have learned from the mistakes of Barton Moss and Balcombe where they allowed peaceful protest in the form of slow walking in front of vehicles down public highways. It's been made quite clear in East Yorkshire that anyone who gets in the way of a vehicle on the public highway will be arrested immediately.”

Police have even admitted to campaigners that it's a “game of numbers”, and that if there were as many protesters as police they'd have to review their tactics.

The location of the West Newton site is so rural that keeping up communications – from simple phone calls to live streaming – is difficult. The campaign is encouraging any potential protectors to get in touch. The camp phone number is 07773739937.

Earth First! Summer Gathering 2014 – exact location & other practicalities added

Updates: Exact location has been releases – see here

Travel – book your travel to Castle Cary or Bruton train station, then it's a bus journey and 20 minute walk.

Updates: Exact location has been releases – see here

Travel – book your travel to Castle Cary or Bruton train station, then it's a bus journey and 20 minute walk.

Bus times are : 8.14am – 9.44am – 11.44am – 12.33pm – 2.14pm – 4.33pm (last bus).  There's no Sunday service so we will timetable a shuttle bus to return.

Cycling: Bruton is better if you are cycling as it is a mile shorter, and there is also a bus from there too. The last bus from here leaves later.  (Bus times from Bruton are: 9:09am – 10:39am – 12:12pm – 1:39pm – 3:54pm – 5:39pm)

We will post the exact address three weeks before the gathering.

Refreshments – ‘This year there is no bar on site. People are welcome to bring their own but we ask that there's no drinking before dinner/7pm. Anyone causing a nuisance or breaking our Safer Spaces policy will be asked to stop and/or leave. There will be a cafe & snack bar on site.’

Dogs – ‘This year dogs are welcome, but please get in touch in advance, and keep them on a lead at all times on the site.’  Further info

—————-

28th-31st August 2014, in the South West….

A place for people involved in radical green direct action to come together….
to talk….share skills….learn….listen….play….rant…. find out whats going on….
scheme….live outdoors….hang out….laugh….
experience non hierarchical, low impact, family friendly living.

An activist camp that spans 5 days and consists of a programme of workshops throughout each day facilitated by people like you and me who think they have a skill or a level of knowledge in a subject that is valuable to share with others to improve their activism.

Is this camp for you?  Whether you're just starting out in the world of direct action or you're an old (glued and paint-stained) hand at it, you're welcome here.

More info here

Action dates & gatherings now working again!

The action dates and protest gatherings page is once again working!  Apologies, we accidentally deleted it!

If there's any ecological actions that are openly advertised, protest camps or campaign gatherings, that you want to add to it, do it through the submit report link and in the subject, make it clear it's to add to the calendar.  Thanks.

The action dates and protest gatherings page is once again working!  Apologies, we accidentally deleted it!

If there's any ecological actions that are openly advertised, protest camps or campaign gatherings, that you want to add to it, do it through the submit report link and in the subject, make it clear it's to add to the calendar.  Thanks.

Rathlin Blitzkrieg About to Hit East Yorkshire

West Newton, Well Site29th May 2014 Rathlin Energy caught activists napping today when lorries arrived at Crawberry Hill site in East Yorkshire.

West Newton, Well Site29th May 2014 Rathlin Energy caught activists napping today when lorries arrived at Crawberry Hill site in East Yorkshire. The police had allowed Rathlin to ignore (no right turn) traffic signs to gain access without the knowledge of the activists waiting further down the road.
Activists aired their concerns about radio active hazard signs attached to lorries arriving to remove waste water at the West Newton site near Aldborough. The surface water had overflowed the man made ditches made specifically for the purpose due to heavy overnight rain. It seems this presents no present threat but fears are that when drilling begins again and the radioactive elements are brought to the surface any further overflow would contaminate the surrounding area. Residents of the USA and Canada have previously reported ‘dead zones’ of once thriving ecological areas. contaminated by fracking and radioactive chemicals, after overflowing into ponds and lakes.
Activists were also worried about ‘drill tips’ and accessories used in the drilling processes. These are according to the activists, tipped with depleted Uranium, to cut through the toughest rock. Although it cannot be confirmed that these practises are taking place in the East Riding area, the technique and equipment, have been available for quite some time.
The Environment Agency has already given permits to Rathlin to extract waste, including radioactive waste. Unconfirmed reports suggest Dermot Nesbit (Rathlin Energy director) had used his influence as an Ex Northern Ireland, Environment Minister to secure the permits, from the Environment Agency, the same department (within Northern Ireland) of which he was once chief.
Hull and East Yorkshire anti frack.

More Arrests of Anti Fracking Activists in East Yorkshire

24th May Following on from the arrests of two local residents last week, a further arrest has been made of an activist playing music in Beverley (near Hull.) A flotilla of Police, from the Humberside division, armed with tazers and dogs, swooped into Beverley, town centre, as the

24th May Following on from the arrests of two local residents last week, a further arrest has been made of an activist playing music in Beverley (near Hull.) A flotilla of Police, from the Humberside division, armed with tazers and dogs, swooped into Beverley, town centre, as the busker and anti fracking activist known as Daznez was playing and singing music in Beverley town centre. Local people who were watching and listening to the musician remarked at the heavy handedness of the arrest as at least six police personnel and their dogs took the musician into custody. The musician has been taken to Clough Road, Police Station in Hull but has not yet been charged with an offence.
Last week two residents of the Beverley area, were arrested whilst meditating, at an earmarked Frack site, at the Rathlin Energy, Crawberry Hill, drilling site. Husband and Wife, John and Valerie Majer, were charged with causing intimidation and annoyance contrary to section 241 of the Trade Union and Labour Relations Act.
Rathlin Energy has said it has no plans to frack in the area, although two permits have been granted to them for work to be carried out.
There have previously been charges of corruption, abuse of power and privledge, placed upon Rathlin Energy by activists. This follows after, ex Northern Ireland Environment Minister Dermot Nesbitt, who is now a director of Rathlin Energy succeeded in obtaining the permits from the very same government agency, who were once accountable to him, to drill and extract waste, including the extraction of radioactive waste, at the Crawberry Hill site and another, nearby site at West Newton near Aldborough. (Updates to follow.)
East Yorkshire Anti Frack

Fight the Frack

Fight the Frack rally this Sunday March 16 near Chester, fitting a new rig at Farndon – coaches from different towns available – more info and here.

 

 

 

Fight the Frack rally this Sunday March 16 near Chester, fitting a new rig at Farndon – coaches from different towns available – more info and here.

 

 

 

 

New anti-fracking camp near Nottingham, at Retford.

 

See twitter.com/frackfreenotts

For more info on fracking see http://frack-off.org.uk